What is American Service?
American service is a simple and informal form of service. It is also known as a Plated service. In this American service style, dishes are neatly plated in the kitchen by the kitchen staff and placed on the guest’s cover from the right-hand side.
It is a very easy food service style. In this service, dishes are placed nicely in the kitchen. And the server moves clockwise when the food plates are present.
Here dishes are served like Prawn cocktails, Salads, Masala dosa, Vada sambar, Burgers, Ice creams, etc. This service is followed in busy areas or when its service needs to be very fast.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of American Service
List of American service/ Plate service advantages and disadvantages:
Advantages of American Service
These are the advantages of American service:
- Service skill is not required.
- Low labor cost.
- Needs fewer waiters.
- Quick service.
- High seat turnover as service is fast.
- The kitchen staff has the scope to demonstrate their plating skills.
Disadvantages of American Service
These are the disadvantages of American service:
- No personalized service.
- Chances of plate wastage.
- Skilled writers do not have the scope to show their service skills.
- Food may become cold.
- More kitchen time and labor.
American Service Table Setup
1. The waiter should be able to carry at least three dishes out of full plates to speed up the service. For a group of more than three guests, the waiter and the assistant waiter work as a team to place the plates. Using trays for transporting plates is not recommended.
2. Trays are used to carry dished-out cups and bowls. Cups are placed on the saucers and bowls on quarter plates with the appropriate spoons.
3. On reaching the table, standing to the right of the guest, the waiter needs to place the bowls of minestrone soup on a tray.
4. On reaching the table, standing to the right of the guest, the waiter places the bowl on a quarter plate, positions the soup spoon on the plate, and keeps it at the guest’s cover from the right-hand side in such a way that the spoon is to the right of the guest. He/she moves to the next guest and repeats the same.
5. The server moves clockwise while placing plated food. Dishes such as prawn cocktails, salads, soups, masala dosa, vada sambar, sandwiches, burgers, ice creams, and so on, are served in this way.
6. This American service style is followed in restaurants located in busy areas where service needs to be very quick. Like, Coffee shops, fast food outlets, casual dining restaurants, and restaurants located in busy areas follow this style of service.
Points to remember while Table Setup for American Service
- All plated food is served from the right-hand side to the guest.
- Beverages are served from the right.
- Clearance is done from the right-hand side.
- The tray is used to carry cups, bowls, saucers, and underplates.
- The tray should not be used to carry full and half plates.
- Move clockwise when you work from the right-hand side and counter-clockwise when you work from the left hand.