What is Silver Service
Silver service is a food serving style. It is also known as English service. In this form of serving, dishes are presented and transferred from the left-hand side to the guest’s plate using a service spoon and fork.
This Silver style of service is implemented in upscale restaurants. It is regarded as a formal service. In this Silver style service method, He/she presents the main dish to the host and serves each guest, starting from the one seated to the right of the host.
The server moves counter-clockwise while serving food. The waiter brings plates and dishes to the sideboard, places the plate before each guest from his/her right-hand side, moving clockwise.
Silver Service Advantages and Disadvantages
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of Silver service or English service:
Advantages of Silver Service
These are the silver service advantages:
- Personalized service.
- Customer satisfaction.
- Waiters have the scope to exhibit their service skills.
- No plate wastage.
Disadvantages of Silver Service
These are the silver service disadvantages:
- Calls for a high level of service skills, hence more labor cost.
- More staff required.
- Low seat turnover.
- Slow service.
Points to remember while Silver Service or English Service:
- Serve food from dish/platter on to guest’s plate using service spoon and fork from the left-hand side.
- Conduct clearance from the right-hand side.
- Serve beverages from the right-hand side.