What is Silver Service
In this method, dishes are presented and transferred to the guest’s plate using a service spoon and fork from the left-hand side. It is regarded as a formal service. It is also known as the English Service. The waiter brings plates and dishes to the sideboard, places the plate before each guest from his/her right-hand side, moving clockwise.
He/she presents the main dish to the host and serves each guest, starting from the one seated to the right of the host. The server moves counter-clockwise while serving food. This kind of service is implemented in upscale restaurants.
Points to remember while Silver Service/ English Service:
- Serve food from dish/platter on to guest’s plate using service spoon and fork from the left-hand side.
- Conduct clearance from the right-hand side.
- Serve beverages from the right-hand side.
Silver Service Advantages and Disadvantages
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of silver service:
Advantages of Silver Service
These are the silver service advantages:
- Personalized service.
- Customer satisfaction.
- Waiters have scope to exhibit their service skills.
- No plate wastage.
Disadvantages of Silver Service
These are the silver service disadvantages:
- Calls for a high level of service skills, hence more labor cost.
- More staff required.
- Low seat turnover.
- Slow service.