Here I discuss how to taste wine for beginners with steps. So, wine is an alcoholic beverage having high alcoholic content usually between 10 and 14 percent.
Its obtained from fermented grape juice. It is divided into various types of wine according to its color, taste, and content. These wines are termed sparkling wines.
Wine Tasting Process
Wine tasting is the process of evaluating wine. It includes the assessment of color, taste, aroma and the finish. It is done by the following people for the reasons mentioned in different environments.
- Professionals employed by the wineries to take corrective measures during aging and blending to ensure the consistency of the product sold.
- Wine merchants before making purchase decisions.
- Sommeliers in the restaurants before serving the wines to the guests.
- Sommeliers are responsible for the service of wines in food and beverage operations.
- Ensure the wine is not faulty and it is in acceptable condition.
- Always describe the wine to the customers.
- Understand the nature of complaints given by the host after tasting the wine and know the reasons for them.
- Ensure the wine is at the right temperature.
- During the service operations, a sommelier may taste the wine in the restaurant itself.
- An absolutely clean and clear wine glass of 10 to 12 oz capacity which is wider at the bottom and narrower at the top.
- An evaluation sheet is necessary when the number of wines is evaluated.
- Spittoon is used in the wine tasting event when a number of wines are tasted.
Steps of Wine Tasting
The steps of wine tasting process are as follows:-
- Pour the wine and observe its clarity and color by holding against the light.
- Swirl the glass and observe how the wine slides down to evaluate the viscosity of the wine.
- Swirl and nose the wine to evaluate its aroma and bouquet.
- Swirl and taste the wine to evaluate its taste and check if the wine is balanced or acidic.
- Feel the body of the wine.