Menu planning is one of the most important managerial activities. Food and beverage operations executed by a team comprising the proprietor, the restaurant manager, and the executive chef.
The menu forms the basis or acts as a guide upon which all other managerial and operational activities of f&b operations rest.
In a large hotel, the general manager and the food and beverage manager will also be members of the team. There are many factors to be considered while menu planning, that would determine the success of the f&b operation.
The menu planning team must have this quality:
- Have a thorough knowledge of dishes of various meals and cuisines.
- Know the food cost of different dishes.
- Be aware of the time taken for producing those dishes.
Whether it is for new outlets or existing outlets, some points related to the following aspects of menu planning should be considered by the team while planning the menu in the hotel.
What Factors to Consider when Planning a Menu
These are the points to be considered while planning a menu:
- The policy of the establishment
- Operational aspect
- Gastronomic standpoint
- Nutritional aspect
- Government regulations
Points Influence the Menu Planning Process in Hotels
The team should be aware of the restaurant that equals its standard of service in the area where it proposes to commence business or is already operating.
It should make an effort to find out the following from its competitors:
- Hours of operations.
- Cuisine offered.
- The different menu choices are available.
- Types of customers- Business class, Family, Students, and so on.
- Menu pricing.
- The portion size of the dish.
- Consumer’s opinions on the menu of the competitors.
- Time is taken for service.
- The policy of the establishment.
- Return on investment.
- Operations hour.
- Types of operations.
- What to serve.
- Production process.
- Use of convenience products.
- Style of service.
- Time available.
- The age group of consumers.
- The area is available.
- Place of consumption.
- Skill level of staff.
- Equipment is available.
- Ingredients are available.
- A number of covers.
- Ease of maintaining consistency.