What is Mise En Place
Mise En Place is a french word pronunciation is ”mi zɑ̃ˈplas“. The term Mise En Place in a restaurant means “All the duties that are carried out to keep the service area ready for the guest”. The duties vary from meal and restaurant to restaurant depending on the F&B style of operation, sections, and layout.
Implementation Areas of Mise En Place in Hotel
The mise-en-place in a hotel should be implemented in the following areas:
- Lounge Area
- Still Room
- Hot Plate
- Toilet and Washroom
1. Lounge Area
The lounge is the area where guests can wait when the restaurant is busy and have juices or aperitifs. In some stand-alone restaurants, food order is taken in the lounge to minimize waiting time in the restaurant.
The area is kept presentable by following these:
- Vacuum cleaning the carpet
- Cleaning upholstery
- Polishing the wooden furniture
- Polishing the brass articles
- Cleaning the glass surface
- Checking if the fixtures are clean and properly hung
- Placing items that would occupy the children
All the required things should be kept ready for service to ensure that customers are attended to promptly when they are dining and they leave the place with complete satisfaction.
The following activities of mise en place carried out in a restaurant generally:
- Cracked or chipped crockery should not be used.
- Crockery should be free from grease and stains.
- If it has a logo printed on it, it should be placed in such a way that the logo faces the guest.
- The handle of the cup and saucer should be towards the right while placing them on the table.
- All crockery used at the table should be of the same pattern and color.
- Side plates should be placed on the left-hand side of the cover.
- Cracked or chipped glassware should not be used.
- The glasses should be well polished and without any stains or fingerprints.
- Glasses must be handled by their base or stem.
- Glasses must be placed upside down at the tip of the large knife.
- All glasses used at the table should be of the same design and size.
- The table must be covered with a clean and laundered table cloth.
- The Centre crease of the table cloth should run in the middle of the table after laying the cloth.
- Napkins should be folded according to the occasion.
- Soiled napkins should not be used.
- Table linen should not be used for polishing tableware.
3. Still Room
The still room should be equipped with the following services:
- Breadbasket lined with cloth.
- Butter prepared and placed in the butter dish.
- Preserves dish.
- Sugar bowls.
- Beverage pots.
- Glassware for juices.
- Cups and Saucers and plates and so on.