What is Gueridon Service
The term “Guéridon” means a movable service table or trolley from where foods are served. The gueridon service is a movable sideboard or service station carrying the equipment which is required in the gueridon service style.
This service always triggers serving food that is present in the customer’s plates but may also refer to other high service techniques.
For example, Using a drinks trolley, Carving trolley, Cheese trolley, or maybe a Sweet trolley. These trolleys also act as selling aids as they display the items on offer to the customer.
Selecting and Handling Food for Gueridon Service
Points should be remembered while preparing different categories of dishes or selecting and handling the food for gueridon service:
- Prepare food hygienically according to the food hygiene regulations of the establishment.
- Ensure that food is fresh and visually attractive.
- Check that the ingredients do not discolor or break down easily during the preparation.
- See to it that the preparation of the dish is simple and requires a minimum of handling and cooking time.
- Ensure that the dish does not produce any unpleasant smell when it is being cooked.
- Clean the ingredients thoroughly, check if they are fresh, and then make them bite-sized.
- Display the ingredients in appropriate glass containers.
- Handle all the ingredients with spoons and forks.
- Keep the items chilled until they are required.
- Prepare the salad dressing either in the kitchen or on the trolley. In most cases, it is done in the kitchen.
- Dress the salad at the gueridon at the time of service.
- Arrange and garnish the dressed salad on a bed of lettuce leaves.
- Select good quality meat.
- Remove all fat and sinews in the kitchen.
- Trim and shape the meat appropriately for faster cooking.
- Prepare the marinade and soak the meat in the marinade for a few minutes in the presence of the guest.
- Cook the meat on a high flame quickly to seal the surface of the meat to retain the juices.
- Use fresh and ripe fruits without any damages or bruises on the skin.
- Keep the prepared fruits chilled and covered.
- Do not cook fruit beyond the point at which it breaks down.
The Procedure of Gueridon Service Dishes
The service procedure of all the carved dishes is the same, though their carving procedures may vary,
1. Check the trolley for mise en place for the dish to be carved.
2. Collect the dish with accompanying vegetables, potatoes, gravies, and garnish.
3. Place the accompanying vegetables, potatoes, and garnishes in a chafing dish or food warmer.
4. Ensure that the joint plates are kept in a plate warmer.
5. Carry the plate by holding the rim or edge of the plate.
6. Carve the dish according to the procedures of the establishment.
7. Maintain the temperature of the dish. In case it becomes cold, heats it.
8. Arrange the portion of the carved dish on joint plates and accompanying vegetables which are collected from the plate warmer at the appropriate time by the assistant waiter. Potatoes should be placed at 12 o’clock, vegetables at 10 o’clock, and the meat at 6 o’clock position on the plate.
9. Place the accompanying gravy at the 3 o’clock position. Place the plate from the right-hand side of the guest in such a way that the meat is closer to the guest.
What is Gueridon Table Service Set up
There are many dishes that can be prepared in the restaurant on the Guéridon table. The quality of dishes prepared in the restaurant is not superior to the ones prepared in the kitchen.
This work is done in the restaurant primarily to demonstrate the cooking skills and to entertain the guests.
Therefore, the dish selected for the Guéridon service should not involve a complicated process.
Carving is best carried out either in the kitchen or in the carvery section where the infra-red or heat source is available to retain the temperature of the food being carved and a facility to keep plates and accompanying vegetables warm.
This is quite difficult on the trolley and especially to carve meat for a large group. It is advisable to use two lamp trolleys for carving the meat.
If only one lamp is available, that can be used for carving the meat and the warm plates and vegetables can be brought by the assistant at the appropriate time. All ingredients required for preparation are kept in appropriate containers on underplates with spoons.
List of the Gueridon Service Equipments
- Flare Lamp
- Suzette Pan
- Gas Stove
- Carving Board
Check this detailed guide about Different Gueridon service equipment.
What are the Types of Gueridon trolleys in Hotel
- Salad Trolley
- Liquor Trolley
- Cheese Trolley
- Hors D’ Oeuvre Variés Trolley
Food preparation, Carving, and Flambe Trolley
Also, read the detailed post on Different Gueridon trolley types.Share this Knowledge