What is Cellar?
The Cellar is a centralized storage area for all kinds of alcoholic beverages in the hotel. It protects the valuable stock from theft, maintains the quality of the stock by storing them at an appropriate temperature and monitors the movement of the stock.
It is managed by a Cellarman who is responsible for all the stock under his custody. The main responsibilities of a cellarman are this:-
- Stock the cellar with an adequate supply of wines, beers, and liquors to ensure uninterrupted supply to various bars.
- Store the alcoholic drinks at an appropriate temperature to prevent them from spoiling.
- Issue the required drinks to the various bars or sales outlets against the authorized requisition.
- Update the records of the cellar.
- Protect the stock from theft and other malpractices.
The most important aspect of the cellar is to limit access. Unauthorized persons should not be allowed to enter cellar for any reason.
When the cellar is open, the cellarman/cellar in charge must be present. If he wants to leave the cellar even for a short period of time, the cellar must be locked and it should never be left open unattended.
The duplicate key of the cellar should be kept in the safe. It is advisable to change the lock if someone who has handled the cellar key resigns.
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED IN BEER STORAGE AREA
The following pieces of equipment are required in a beer storage area where draught beers are served.
- Electrical impelled pumps:- These dispense the accurate amount of beer into the glass when the barman presses the button.
- Beer cleaning bottles:- These are used to clean the beer pipelines. The assembly head is fitted into a two-gallon cleaning bottle containing a cleaning agent.
- Deep sticks:- These are used to check the level of beer in the cask by inserting it into the cask through the shive.
- Filters:- These are used to return the good quality beer to the cask by inserting it into the cask through the shive.
- Shives and Spiles:- Shives are hard to piece of wood placed in the bunghole of the cask in the brewery after filling. The hole is completed by punching out with a wooden mallet.
- Stillions:- They are wooden racks or platforms to hold the beer cask or barrel.
CELLAR CONTROL AND RECORDS
Cellar control is very important as it stores more valuable stock and fetches more percentage of profit. It also tempts dishonest staff to indulge in malpractices. Therefore, it is very important to have a foolproof system. The cellar is the main source of supply of alcoholic drinks to various outlets in the hotel for sale. Each organization may have its own format designed to suit its needs.
Fermented drinks must be handled and stored carefully. Most demanded fermented drinks are wines and beers and these should be stored at an appropriate temperature as they are very sensitive to change in temperature, humidity, light, and vibration. Extremes of these conditions can spoil the fermented drinks. Distilled alcoholic beverages are not as sensitive as fermented drinks.